Kirche
Catholic Parish Church St. Martin
Piesport
Based on archaeological finds, it is likely that the flood-safe settlement site around the Emmeler parish church was already used in Celtic times, but certainly in Roman times. A Roman column drum and a capital with a base of a Romanesque column made of shell limestone testify to this. The church, dedicated to St. Martin, which was originally a branch of Piesport, was granted the patronage right in 1376 to the Carthusian monastery in Trier.
Due to population growth in the 19th century, the 150-year-old chancel was demolished in 1930 and the church was expanded to the east with a wide transept and generous choir area. In 1967/68, the church was redesigned according to the guidelines of the renewed liturgy, and by the mid-1990s, the dilapidated nave was reinforced with tie rods and renovated in a first construction phase.
In 2003/2004, the refurbishment of the transept and the redesign of the altar area took place. The design and execution of the colorful new presentation of the altar area, incorporating a medieval wooden corpus of the crucified on a red glass background, as well as the choir windows, were done by Eberhard Münch, a church painter from Wiesbaden. He is also responsible for the fact that the six plagues of mankind (disease, hunger, war, ignorance, unfreedom, and death) are written in a surrounding color band under the altar windows - with the cross as a symbol of redemption in between. Furthermore, he painted and donated a 12 square meter Lent cloth on canvas to the community, which covers the crucified along with the glass plate construction between Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. The large stairwell window with an Easter motif at the parish house (cemetery side) is also by him.
The apostle candlesticks made of bronze, the baptismal font integrated into the paradisiacal tree of knowledge in the church space; the pillar of fire, which indicates the presence of God together with the eternal light; the lectern, which depicts the mantle dividing – the key scene of Christian charity – from the life of the church patron, and the vine tabernacle, featuring the typical heart binding of two vines found in our wine-growing region, were created by Hermann-Josef Runggaldier from St. Ulrich in South Tyrol. The same artist also created the bronze Madonna of the protective mantle, which has its place on the northern exterior of the parish church.
The presiding seat and the choir benches were designed and created by the artistry of Hans-Jörg Bender from Schweich, while the stained glass of the vestibule doors was done by Heidemarie Leder from Kanzem. Since 2010, a replica of the relief "Christ in the Wine Press" has been located in the tower. It comes from the estate of the Piesport contractor Ludwig Wanninger. Until the administrative reform of 1969, the present-day municipality of Piesport consisted of the two independent villages Piesport and Niederemmel. Presumably, the municipalities of Müstert, Reinsport, and Niederemmel were amalgamated at the beginning of the 20th century.
More information
| Montag – Sonntag | 09:00 - 18:00 Uhr |