In 1033 the fountain was first built during field work. In 1953, it was excavated to a depth of 12 metres but without reaching the bottom. Water pressing into the well at a depth of 3 metres caused the works to stop.
Today, the cordon of the Roman fountain is preserved in the upper part. Originally, it consisted of slate stones set in clay mortar and had a diameter of 1.25 m and a height of 2.50 m. The well is carved into the rock. Apart from broken bits of roof tiles and slate shingles, the filling mainly contained remains of leather, wooden panels and shards of vessels dating from the 2nd and 3rd century AD. The well was probably built to provide fresh water for a nearby Roman estate.