The first evidence of a monastic community at the site of today's "Monastery Machern" dates back to 1084. The actual foundation took place in 1238, when the convent was admitted to the local Cistercian association and placed under the administration of Himmerod Abbey. Its location in the heart of the Middle Moselle and the important position of the Cistercian order in the European top viticulture made Machern with its possessions in Wehlen, Rachtig and Zeltingen an influential viticultural centre. At the beginning of the 18th century the monastery got its baroque form. The magnificent baroque hall and the impressive chapel are particularly worth seeing.
Historical museum of dolls, Toys and icons
Focus turn of the century: over 2000 exhibits of historical toys as well as 200 icons from Russia, Romania and Ethiopia. The collection in the doll museum is mainly concerned with the period between 1850 and 1925. The popular tin toy can also be admired in the museum of "Kloster Machern". Railways, cars and motorcycles with elaborate mechanics. Icons are cult images of the Orthodox Church. They include the whole theology and spirituality of the Eastern Church. Once established in Byzantium, they have decorated churches, monasteries and private houses since the early Middle Ages. Regularly changing special exhibitions of various artists and art styles enliven the museum again and again.