The origins of the modern community go back to the 17th/18th century. The Jewish community in Bernkastel was officially founded in 1853. Already in the Middle Ages there was a synagogue or a house with a prayer room in Schwanenstraße 9, and after the persecutions of the Jews in Pestzeti in 1348/49 the building came into archbishop's possession. Further prayer rooms can then only be found again in the 17th century.
Construction of the synagogue
Around 1840 the municipality was able to acquire a building in Burgstraße 7 for the construction of a synagogue. It was inaugurated on 27/28 August 1852 by Chief Rabbi J. Kahn. Badly damaged by a fire in a neighbouring building, it was rebuilt and inaugurated in 1882.
On November 9, 1938, the synagogue was completely destroyed and looted by the Bernkasteler National Socialists. After the war there was a carpenter's workshop in the building until 1965. Today there is a room for cultural events and overnight accommodation in the former synagogue.