The citizens of Bernkastel call this square at the former end of Bernkastel's old town "Am Kapuzinerkreuz" or "an der Kapuzinnertreppe". Many also say "at the double cross", in earlier times it was also known as "Bettelmanns Umkehr", because of the gate that closed the city off here in the direction of Hunsrück. For centuries there has been a cross here with two crucifixes.
The original Baroque double cross dates from 1750 and was destroyed in World War II. The present double cross was inaugurated in 1953. It is a creation of the sculptor August Julius Lebensted from Kröv.
"This cross, surrounded by two women, one of whom is the highest feminine perfection and the other teaches that there is a coming out of the depths of human weakness, looks to the interior and the exit of the city. (Mayor Dr. Anton Ley in his inauguration speech on 14.06.1953)