He must have been extremely pleased, leaving eight gold pieces as a tip. The oldest quarry-stone house in the city was the official residence of the waiter, the electoral state administrator. This massive building probably dates from the 15th century. He was sold by Elector Karl Kaspar von der Leyen in 1665 to his official Wolfgang von Kesselstatt. The house was already used as a school building in the 18th century. In 1905 it was completely destroyed in a serious fire. 4 years later it was restored by the merchant Jakob Astor as a residential and commercial building.
Karl Kaspar of the Leyen
Karl Kaspar Reichsfreiherr von der Leyen was Archbishop and Elector of Trier from 1652 to 1676. The von der Leyen had their headquarters in Schloss Gondorf on the Lower Moselle. In 1650 Karl Kaspar was elected co-adjutor (lat. assistance) in Trier, 2 years later he was elected archbishop. He ended the witch hunt in the diocese of Trier, founded a boys' orphanage and took care of the reconstruction of the residential buildings destroyed in the Thirty Years' War.