A panel inside the chapel bears the following inscription: "This chapel was built as a sign of gratitude for the return of the warriors after the First World War by the Reverends Schütz and Fassbinder in 1922/23. They dedicated it to the Mother of God. The chapel was painted by pastor März from Eschfeld in the fall of 1927. Restored in 1980 by painter S. Follmann from Salmtal."
The large images in the vaulted structure of the chapel show scenes from the tale of the Theban Legion, which were commanded to persecute Christians by Roman Emperor Maximilian. When the commanders Binifatius and Thyrsus, who were stationed in Trier at that time, refused to kill their fellow Christians, they and their followers were executed.