In 1959, supply lines to the well system were discovered. For centuries, the people living in the former town of Niederemmel (now called Piesport) had used this fountain to cover their daily water needs and also as a drinking trough for their cattle.
One of the supply lines was coated in a 14 cm thick layer of screed, a lime-gravel mix dating back to Roman times, near the foundation. A light-coloured, firm lime mortar was used to construct the 55 cm thick walls of the drainage tunnel. The walls, of which the lower 1.2 metres are still standing, were slightly curved at the top. These finds make it plausible that the fountain was already in use as a source of water in Roman times. Later, the Earls of Hunolstein built their farmyards and estates close to the “Römerbrunnen” (Roman fountain).