“Paulskirche” is about 2 km from Lieser wine and holiday village, in the midst of vineyards. It is the oldest church of the region. Many people sought refuge here during the harsh revolutionary times around 1848.
“Paulskirche”, whose origin lies in the 7th century, was built in several stages. Today´s (final) shape dates back to 1600. Until the late 16th century, it was the religious centre of fourteen villages and a highly frequented pilgrimage site. On October 8th, 1848, one of the largest political rallies of the Rhine Province with 15.000 attendants took place here. The “Trierische Zeitung” (local newspaper of Trier) stated: “The democrats came in flocks to the Paulsberg at Lieser“.