The Jewish Cemetery was established in 1866. It was in use from 1867 till 1932. About 33 gravestones are preserved. The key for the Jewish Cemetery is available at the Tourist Information.
There are two jewish cemeteries in Bernkastel. The old cemetery was in use since the 17th century until 1866, when it was completely occupied and the new cemetery was laid out. There are no tombstones left on the old cemetery, because the few intact specimen were relocated to the new cemetery. A board next to the entrance reads: “Jewish Cemetery. Since the Middle Ages, a small Jewish community has existed in Bernkastel-Kues. In the middle of the 19th century, up to 35 jews lived here. The Synagogue was on 7, Burgstraße. Due to sovereign interdiction, jewish cemeteries were often not allowed in the proximity of villages. In 1866, the new cemetery was laid out, after the old cemetery situated at the edge of the forest was closed due to occupancy. Until the seizure of power by the Nazis in 1933, the Jews on the Moselle lived in almost complete assimilation. Nevertheless, the Jewish community was hit hard by the prosecution in times of National Socialism. Some Jewish citizens emigrated; others were deported to concentration camps and murdered there. The Synagogue was destroyed, too. Since these days, there has not been a Jewish community in Bernkastel-Kues anymore. Only the Jewish cemetery gives evidence of the fellow citizens who once lived here.