The village well (known as Boor) was the source of water for the residents of Ferres up until 1958. This means that it played an important part in daily life. It also served as a meeting point for people.
Ferres is the smallest district of the municipality of Piesport, authenticated as "Bovaries" in the year 1168. However, the village is much older. It owes its name to the Roman "bovarii", cowherds who drove their cattle across the River Moselle over to the far bank where there is a rich plain, which has been used as pasture and arable land even in the pre-Roman era. In those days, long before the construction of the barrages, the River Moselle was neither as deep nor as wide as it is today. There was a ford here, or a "Fahrt", as they say in Ferres. Other particular features of the village are the chapel (see information board) and the birth house of Eberhard Taub, who has gone down in history as the founder of Klausen, the nearby pilgrimage site. He was serving the Counts of Esch. "Nikolaus Novillanius, a chronicler of the Benedictine abbey St. Maximin in Trier, reports that Eberhard Taub from Ferres built a chapel in honour of the Mother of God." (Source: Piesport, Rheinische Kunststätten Heft 1/1974 P. 8). That was the beginning of the place of pilgrimage which became known for miraculous healings. A commemorative plaque has been mounted on the wall of the birth house of pious Eberhard and the road is called “Bruder-Eberhard-Straße”.