|Category||Gault Millau restaurant guide, winery/wine cellar, own wine/farm products|
There is documentary evidence, that Martin Conrad wine estate in Brauneberg holiday resort on the Moselle has been in operation since 1558. In 1998, winemaker Martin Conrad took over the estate. He leads it in the 14th generation. Riesling vines make up for approximately 95% of the 5.5 hectares of vineyards, while White Burgundy vines cover the other 5%.
The prime site of the winery is the "Brauneberger Juffer" vineyard; the most important bigger yineyard is “Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr”. From these renowned shale steep slope sites, which are two of the top sites in the Middle Moselle region, prime Riesling wines are obtained, which are known and sought-after far beyond Germany. The Romans already appreciated these top vineyards and built an impressive wine press for processing the noble Juffer grapes in the 3rd century A.D.. The key to producing finest wines from these top sites is the optimization of the leave-fruit ratio of the vines. The vines are taken care of under environmentally conscious conditions, thus creating a balance between wine production and the environment.
The grapes are traditionally picked by hand, since only an expert eye of trained staff is able to separate carefully the rotten from the healthy, fully ripe grapes. Only in this way is it possible to bring out the distinctive traits of each vintage and each terroir and to offer wine lovers maximum enjoyment.